Classifiers Self-Study Program 7 – Constructed Action
This program is only available online. To order, add it to your shopping cart above. At checkout, login to your account (or create an account if necessary). To access the program any time from any device connected to the internet, go to www.treehousevideo.com, login with your password, then click on “My Programs” at the top of the page. You will see the Classifiers Self Study Series Program 7 listed. Click on the title to start the program. To earn CEUs, follow the instructions in the program.
Treehouse Video is an Approved RID CMP Sponsor for continuing education activities. Classifiers Self-Study Program 7 – Constructed Action is offered for 0.5 Professional Studies (PS) CEUs at the Some Content Knowledge Level.
By the time you finish working with this program, you will have:
- practiced along with the texts, or independent of them, using all the major features of ASL covered in this program.
- learned about the use of constructed action (CA) and constructed dialogue (CD) as integral parts of ASL discourse.
- learned terminology that has been used to refer to CA and CD within the language-learning research literature.
- learned about the existence of various approaches for the consideration of CA as linguistic or gestural devices in signed languages.
- learned that some signs trigger the use of CA.
- learned about different configurations in which CA can be found (e.g., occurring alone, accompanying classifiers or other signs, and occurring between classifiers).
- learned that certain types of information often get portrayed in CA (e.g., actions that are easier to demonstrate then to describe, actions that are necessary for the communication of specific things not captured in classifiers or lexical signs).
- learned that some signers sometimes use CA to communicate information about inanimate objects.
- learned about general considerations for using CA as an appropriate device for communicating information during interpretation between ASL and English.
Once you successfully complete the quiz at the end of the program, you will be given instructions for submitting your Completion Code and Evaluation Form. Upon receipt of this information, Treehouse Video will process and report your 0.5 PS CEUs to RID and send you a Certificate of Completion no later than the fifteenth day of the month following the month your materials were received. For example, if you submitted your Completion Code and Evaluation form in March, your CEUs will be processed no later than April 15. The report to RID and Certificate of Completion will indicate the date your materials were received.
TERMS OF SERVICE
Please note, when you place the program in your shopping cart and check out, you will be asked to agree to the Terms of Service, including the following:
I certify that this activity represents a valid and verifiable Continuing Education Experience that exceeds routine employment responsibilities.
I understand that the materials provided in this program are not to be copied to any computers except those owned by me.
I understand that these materials are intended for the purpose of my individual study and continuing education.
I understand that I can earn no more than 0.5 CEUs for this program, and that the CEUs cannot be awarded to me until I notify Treehouse Video LLC with my RID Member Number, the Completion Code that will appear at the completion of the program, and an evaluation form for the program.
PROGRAM 7 CONTENTS
Lecture – Dr. David Quinto-Pozos “Constructed Action” including analysis of Lake Chabot and The Goose Story
Exercises – Lake Chabot*, The Burr Story
Activities – Uncle’s Spring Recess, Dead or Alive?
* includes an audio version for English to ASL interpreting practice
ISBN 1-932501-29-0 (CLS7)
Reg. Price $49.00 each. Includes one CEU report per purchase.
Note: You are encouraged to share this material with your colleagues, but please be aware, only the purchaser of the program can earn CEUs. The fee for processing one report of 0.5 Professional Studies CEUs from RID is included in the purchase of this program. Please note, Treehouse Video is the only RID Approved Sponsor allowed to process CEUs for this activity.