Classifiers Self-Study Program 8 – Register
This program is only available online. To order, add it to your shopping cart above. At checkout, login to your account (or create an account if necessary). To access the program any time from any device connected to the internet, go to www.treehousevideo.com, login with your password, then click on “My Programs” at the top of the page. You will see the Classifiers Self Study Series Program 8 listed. Click on the title to start the program. To earn CEUs, follow the instructions in the program.
Treehouse Video is an Approved RID CMP Sponsor for continuing education activities. Classifiers Self-Study Program 8 – Register is offered for 0.5 Professional Studies (PS) CEUs at the Some Content Knowledge Level.
By the time you finish working with this program, you will have:
- practiced along with the texts, or independent of them, using all the major features of ASL covered in this program.
- learned about register (or style) variation and how different factors (e.g., setting, purpose of interaction, who is present, etc.) could affect how a message is conveyed.
- reviewed terminology that has been used to discuss the phenomenon of register within the research literature.
- enhanced your understanding of register as it has been characterized by various authors within the spoken language literature; these works can be used for further study.
- learned about early research on the topic of register in ASL including some of the features that have been identified for different registers.
- learned about resent research on the topic of register in ASL including the design of a linguistics research study and some of the results of that study.
- learned ways in which the form of Constructed Action or CA (see Program 7 in this series) can be influenced by register.
- been guided to review specific portions of ASL texts in order to focus on register variation across those texts.
- practiced, on your own, identifying register differences across different portions of ASL texts.
Once you successfully complete the quiz at the end of the program, you will be given instructions for submitting your Completion Code and Evaluation Form. Upon receipt of this information, Treehouse Video will process and report your 0.5 PS CEUs to RID and send you a Certificate of Completion no later than the fifteenth day of the month following the month your materials were received. For example, if you submitted your Completion Code and Evaluation form in March, your CEUs will be processed no later than April 15. The report to RID and Certificate of Completion will indicate the date your materials were received.
TERMS OF SERVICE
Please note, when you place the program in your shopping cart and check out, you will be asked to agree to the Terms of Service, including the following:
I certify that this activity represents a valid and verifiable Continuing Education Experience that exceeds routine employment responsibilities.
I understand that the materials provided in this program are not to be copied to any computers except those owned by me.
I understand that these materials are intended for the purpose of my individual study and continuing education.
I understand that I can earn no more than 0.5 CEUs for this program, and that the CEUs cannot be awarded to me until I notify Treehouse Video LLC with my RID Member Number, the Completion Code that will appear at the completion of the program, and an evaluation form for the program.
PROGRAM 8 CONTENTS
Lecture – Dr. David Quinto-Pozos “Register” including analysis of Traffic Report
Exercises – Traffic Report*, Cooking Lesson
Activities – Which Way Did the Bicycle Go?, A Ride to Remember*
* includes an audio version for English to ASL interpreting practice and a script in PDF format for CDI English to ASL interpreting practice
ISBN 1-932501-30-4 (CLS8)
Reg. Price $49.00 each. Includes one CEU report per purchase.
Note: You are encouraged to share this material with your colleagues, but please be aware, only the purchaser of the program can earn CEUs. The fee for processing one report of 0.5 Professional Studies CEUs from RID is included in the purchase of this program. Please note, Treehouse Video is the only RID Approved Sponsor allowed to process CEUs for this activity.